The OSF-SA is committed to promoting the values, institutions and practices of an open, non-racial and non-sexist, democratic, civil society. It works for a vigorous and autonomous civil society in which the rule of law and divergent opinions are respected.
The Open Society Foundation for South Africa is a grant-making organisation, and is a member of the International Soros Foundations Network.
The Foundation's strategy is to support and engage in activities that focus on the delivery of a needed service. In doing so it has decided it will:
- act in a limited number of priority areas and with projects which will initiate change and produce demonstrable results within two years
- seek major ventures or fresh ideas that would not see the light of day without the resources and assistance of the Foundation
- seek to act in co-ordination and co-operation with other organisations and funding agencies to ensure that resources are optimally used
The Foundation will seek to ensure that in its work all projects should have:
- an ongoing institution-building impact
- an emphasis on sustainability
- a mutually reinforcing impact wherever possible
Open Society Foundation for South Africa